- 10.2 megapixel DX format image sensor for exceptionally vivid and detailed high-resolution images that are ideal for enlargements.
- EXPEED image processing concept for optimum performance and maximum image quality.
- Innovative dust reduction system: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control Systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensors for clear, spot-free images.
- ISO 100 – 1600 ISO broad sensitivity range enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when you shoot fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
- Small, Light and Comfortable: only 495g with intuitive controls and a comfortable grip.
- Large, bright 2.5-inch LCD monitor makes it easy to check essential camera information, and a pleasure to review and edit your shots.
- Quick response: a near-instant 0.19s start-up time and minimal shutter release time lag enable you to shoot on impulse.
- 3 fps continuous shooting lets you take up to 100 JPEG images (FINE, L-size or smaller) at approx. 3 frames per second and capture fast-moving action.
- Bright, clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition.
- Eye-Sensor automatically turns off the information display in the LCD monitor when you look through the viewfinder, saving power and ensuring less distraction when you shoot.
- Razor-sharp 3-area Autofocus lets you focus quickly and accurately no matter where you are, even after sundown.
- Active D-Lighting retains details in highlights and shadows for stunning images with natural contrast.
- Selectable information display formats: choose from a range of display formats including, Graphic format that uses visual icons for information and Wallpaper that uses one of your own images as the background.
- Vertical LCD information display: when shooting, the information display rotates automatically, to follow the orientation of the camera. Camera information is displayed correctly when taking pictures in both landscape and portrait formats.
- 8 Digital Vari-Programs automatically optimize the camera settings to produce superb results in any condition.
- Extensive Retouch Menu with 10 amazing photo effects to choose from, including NEF (RAW) processing and Stop-motion. The original image stays intact and the D60 quickly and simply creates a duplicate image for you to edit and enhance in the camera.
- In-Camera NEF (RAW) processing: enjoy creative freedom and control over camera settings after you shoot. Adjust Image quality, Image size, White balance and even exposure compensation via the easy-to-navigate menu.
- Stop-motion creates animated movies from a series of consecutive pictures. Simply select the first and last frames from the sequence and save it as a short movie to be played on the camera’s LCD screen or a computer (AVI format).
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II produces ideal exposures in almost any lighting condition.
More information on the web:
- dpreview Nikon D60 brief hands-on
- engadget Nikon’s D60 is world’s first Eye-Fi enhanced camera
- engadget Nikon announces D60 and lenses to boot
- Nikon USA Download Specs Brochure
- Nikon USA Comparison Chart
Effective pixels: 10.2 million
Total pixels: 10.75 million
Image sensor: 23.6 x 15.8mm CCD sensor
Dust Reduction System: Image Sensor Cleaning System, Airflow Control System, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX software required)
Image size (pixels): [L] 3,872 x 2,592; [M] 2,896 x 1,944; [S] 1,936 x 1,296
File format: NEF (RAW): 12-bit compressed
JPEG: JPEG-baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression
NEF (RAW)+JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
Media: SD memory cards, SDHC compliant
Text input: Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available
Date imprint: Date, Date and Time, Date Counter, or None (selectable)
Viewfinder: Eye-level penta-Dach mirror single-lens reflex viewfinder
File system: DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), Exif 2.21 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
Frame coverage: Approximately 95 percent horizontal and 95 percent vertical
Magnification: Approximately 0.8x (50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
Focusing screen: Type B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark V
Reflex mirror: Quick return
Lens aperture: Instant return, electronically controlled
AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR: All functions supported
Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except autofocus.
Non-Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II and autofocus.
IX-NIKKOR and AF-NIKKOR for F3AF: Not supported.
Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except some shooting modes.
AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II
Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function.
Lens with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster: Electronic rangefinder can be used.
ShutterType: Electronically-controlled, vertical-travel, focal-plane shutter
Shutter Speed: 1/4,000 to 30 seconds in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb, Time (optional ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control required)
Flash sync speed: X=1/200 seconds; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 second or slower
Release mode: Single frame, Continuous, Self-timer, Remote control (optional ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control required)
Frame advance rate: Up to 3 fps (by selecting manual focus mode, rotating the mode dial to S or M selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 second or faster, and using defaults for all other settings).
Self-timer: Can be selected from 2, 5, 10 and 20 second duration
Metering: TTL exposure metering using 420-segment RGB sensor
Exposure meter coupling: Combined CPU
Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses)
Center-weighted: Weight of 75 percent given to 8mm circle in center of frame
Spot: Meters 3.5mm circle (about 2.5 percent of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used) Range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)
Matrix or center-weighted metering: 0 – 20 EV
Spot metering: 2 – 20 EV
Digital Vari-program (Auto, Auto [flash off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, Night portrait)
Programmed auto (P) with flexible program
Shutter-priority auto (S)
Aperture-priority auto (A)
Exposure compensation: -5 to +5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
ISO sensitivity: ISO 100 – 1,600 in steps of 1 EV; can also be set to approximately 1 EV (ISO 3200 equivalent) above ISO
Active D-Lighting: Can be selected from on (auto) or off
Autofocus: Nikon Multi-CAM 530 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, 3 focus points and AF-assist illuminator (range approximately 0.5-3 m/1 ft. 8 in.-9 ft. 10 in.)
Detection range: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)
Autofocus: Single-servo AF (S), Continuous-servo AF (C), Auto-servo AF (A), Predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status in single- and continuous-servo AF
Manual focus: Electronic rangefinder can be used
Focus point: Selectable from three focus points
AF-area mode: Single-point AF, dynamic-area AF, closest subject AF
Focus lock: Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Guide number of 12/39 (m/ft, ISO 100, 20 degrees C/68 degrees F) or 13/43 in manual mode (m/ft, ISO 100, 20Â°C/68Â°F)
Auto, Portrait, Child, Close up, Night portrait modes: Auto flash with auto pop-up
P, S, A, M: manual pop-up with button release
Exposure lock: Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
TTL for digital SLR using 420-segment RGB sensor i-TTL balanced fill-flash (with metering other than spot) and standard i-TTL flash (with spot metering) are available with built-in flash, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-400, and CPU lenses.
Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and CPU lenses.
Non-TTL auto: Supported flash units include SB-800, SB-28, SB-27, SB-22S, SB-80DX and SB-28DX
Range-priority manual: Available with SB-800
Flash modes: Front curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction with slow sync
Flash compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Flash-ready indicator: Lights when built-in flash or Speedlight such as SB-800, SB-600, SB-400 is fully charged; blinks after flash is fired at full output
Accessory shoe: Standard ISO 518 hot-shoe contact with safety lock
Dimensions (W x H x D): Approximately 126 x 94 x 64mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in.)
Sync terminal: AS-15 Hot-Shoe Sync Terminal Adapter (Optional)
Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS):
Flash Color Information Communication supported with built-in flash and CLS-compatible Speedlight
Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-800 or SU-800 as commander
Weight: Approximately 495 g (1 lb. 1 oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap
White balance: 8 modes (when Auto is selected, TTL white balance with main image sensor and 420-segment RGB sensor is available) fine-tuning possible
Tripod socket: 1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
AC adapter: EH-5a AC Adapter (used with EP-5 Power Connector, available separately)
Monitor: 2.5-in., approximately 230k-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD, brightness adjustment and with automatic defeat via Eye Sensor
Playback: Full frame and thumbnail (four or nine images) playback with playback zoom, stop-motion movies created with the D60, slide show, histogram display, highlights and auto image rotation
Battery: One EN-EL9 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
Video output: Can be selected from NTSC and PAL