The iPhone OS 3.0 beta release includes an updated Software Development Kit (SDK) with over 1,000 new Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) including In-App Purchases; Peer-to-Peer connections; an app interface for accessories; access to the iPod® music library; a new Maps API and Push Notifications. Apple also announced over 100 new features that will be available to iPhone and iPod touch users this summer including cut, copy and paste; MMS;* landscape view for Mail, Text and Notes; stereo Bluetooth; syncing Notes to the Mac® and PC; shake to shuffle; parental controls for TV shows, movies and apps from the App Store; and automatic login at Wi-Fi hot spots. The iPhone OS 3.0 beta release will also include a new Voice Memo app and expanded search capability for all key iPhone apps, as well as Spotlight™ search across the iPhone or iPod touch.
iPhone OS 3.0 introduce over 100 new features, including:
- Search – System wide search on your iPhone
- Cut, copy, and paste – Available across all applications
- MMS – Send photos, contacts, audio files, and location via MMS (MMS messaging is available only on iPhone 3G; fees may apply. MMS may not be available in all areas.)
- Voice Memo – Record notes or interviews
- Turn by Turn GPS – Apple will allow developers to use CoreLocation for turn-by-turn GPS directions.
- Read and compose email and text messages in landscape
The new iPhone OS 3.0 is available to all registered iPhone developers since March, 17th as a free beta. Full release to customers will be this summer. OS 3.0 will be free for all iPhone users and a $9.95 upgrade for all iPod touch users.