TRAVELER by Tonsturm Review
In today’s review, we are looking at the new TRAVELER doppler effect tool released by Tonsturm. The tool is modeling sound and makes it moving through the air. TRAVELER is Tonsturm´s first plugin release, and more are planned for the future.
Tonsturm was founded by Tilman Hahn and Emil Klotzsch. Tonsturm releases royalty-free, high-quality software and sound effect libraries for sound designers for films, games, and arts. Tonsturm did send a review copy with no strings attached.
You download it and install the plugin. Currently, it is Mac OS X only, with Windows compatibility coming soon. Support on MAC for VST, AU, AAX ( all 64-bit only)
Traveler is, first of all, a doppler effect plugin. However, and not many expect that is is also a sampler and granular synthesizer.
Traveler can move sound for you. Stationary sound moves through space and you can get a stationary sound moving through space, this is great for sound design and when scoring to picture.
When leveraging Traveler’s graphical path editor, you can easily determine a sound movement. Controllable by span, length, and velocity parameters. The parameters allow you to define how fast the sound moves by seconds, frames, miles, meters, beats and more units of measurement.
- Graphical Path Editor for very detailed editing of virtual movement
- Set Duration, Length and Speed in seconds, frames, bars and beats, meters, miles per hour and more (metric and imperial measurements available)
- 76 Samples and 85 Movement Presets for common tasks and starting points
- Link two of the Speed, Length, and Duration controls to change while the third remains locked
- Sampler allows for one-shot, looping or granular playback
- Advanced sampling controls include pitch-shifting, panning, positioning, and jitter
- Model physical propagation parameters such as air absorption, stereo width, and path curvature
- Tremolo, Delay, Distortion, EQ and Compression effects
- Normalization and Master Volume controls finish off the sound-design experience
- Drag and drop your sounds or record them in live through your DAW
- Enhanced Pro Tools Audio Suite functionality
Synth & Sampler
You may not assume that this doppler tool can be a synth and sampler. With the included controls you can shape sounds and play it like a sampler and software synth. With very unique and wonderful sounding results.
User interface & Usability
Overall the UI is very easy to use, some excellent features are hidden in a petite selectable menu. An enhancement would be to simplify the UI more to support more non-technical users. Unexpected Traveler mutates into a powerful granular sample player and synth. You can adjust many key sound features like Pitch, Size, Density, Pan, Position, and Jitter.
The Only drawback for me was to load a preset which is based on the finder like loader, where this could be integrated better into the program assuming you store all presets in one location. That way you could add tags and rating to presets which is not possible when you load a preset from disk. The Traveler factory library was created with the high-quality source material from other Tonsturm libraries.
TRAVELER by TONSTURM Presets in finder
Rating: Five out of five stars
Traveler is an extremely well-done sound effect tool that will also beef up compositions when you score to picture, need to enhance your next trailer project or just want to add the needed spice to your next musical track.Traveler as a sound design tool will have the most use to professional to professional sound design, a composer who score to picture.