After 3 years of development, it’s finally here: ValhallaDelay.
ValhallaDelay is a comprehensive delay plugin, for AU/VST/AAX on OSX and Windows. ValhallaDelay has been designed from the ground up to emulate classic tape, BBD, digital and pitch delays while expanding their sonic capabilities.
ValhallaDelay has seven unique delay Modes (Tape, HiFi, BBD, Digital, Ghost, Pitch, RevPitch) and five delay Styles (Single, Dual, Ratio, PingPong, Quad). By combining the Modes and Styles, you can get classic multi-head tape echoes, dark bucket brigade delays, old-school digital delays, pitch doublers, reverse delays, screaming feedback, subtle choruses…the list can go on and on.
VALHALLA DSP spent a ton of time modeling vintage hardware delays, but the company did not stop there.
- ValhallaDelay adds a comprehensive Diffusion section, so any delay Mode can be transformed into a smeared delay or a massive reverb.
- The Age and Era controls are used to dial in the right amount of mojo, so you can have bright, sparkly delays or crusty old noisy echoes.
- The Drive control is a quick way of dialing in subtle warmth, crunchy repeats or screeching feedback echoes.
- The delay range has been extended from <1 msec all the way to 20 seconds, so ValhallaDelay can get short flanging sounds all the way to massive looping delays.
A lot of thought went into the ValhallaDelay controls. The GUI has all the controls you need for a versatile delay while leaving out unneeded controls so that the interface is quick and easy to use. All controls are on a single screen – no hidden tabs or menus. The goal is to create a tool that you can learn quickly so that you can get the sounds you want and get your work done!
ValhallaDelay has seven different delay Modes:
- Tape: Modeled after vintage tape echoes, with all the features and quirks that were loved in the old hardware.
- HiFi: A higher fidelity tape echo, where the ability to precisely sculpt the sound is in your hands. .
- BBD: A dark, low fidelity bucket brigade delay model.
- Digital: A cleaner, higher bandwidth delay, with the ability to dial in digital dirt.
- Ghost: A Valhalla DSP original! Combines the tape model from the HiFi mode with frequency shifting and a unique diffusion algorithm, for sounds that will split your skull in two.
- Pitch: A digital delay with added pitch shifting. Perfect for micro-shifting vocals, adding harmonies to synths, creating vast shimmering soundscapes, or shrieking sounds that forever spiral upwards or downwards.
- RevPitch: Reverse pitch shifting! Everything that goes in, comes out reversed.
Five tape Styles, for controlling the number of delay voices:
- Single: Same delay length & modulation for left and right channels.
- Dual: Independent delay lengths for left and right channels.
- Ratio: The right channel is set to a ratio of the left channel, and the feedback of left and right channels is mixed. Perfect for sounds that slowly transition from delay to reverb-esque.
- PingPong: A delay that bounces between the left and right channels, with the ability to set the left and right delays independently.
- Quad: Models the multi-head tape echoes of the 1960s and 1970s, with up to 4 delay taps on tap.
- Delay lengths ranging from 0 msec to 20 seconds. Dial in choruses and flangers, slapback echoes, longer delays, or long
- Sync the delay to the beat, with straight/dotted/triplet options. Or, control the length via milliseconds.
- Age control, for adjusting the artifacts of the delay mode. Clean and shiny, old and dusty, or anywhere in between.
- Powerful Diffusion section, that can be used to smooth out the attacks of
delays,or can be an amazingly smooth and lush reverb in its own right. Up to 20 seconds of diffusion time possible!
- Era control, for selecting between different variants of the delay modes.