Generate 3 is based on the fact that any signal can be represented through amazing parameters: frequency, phase, amplitude, and timbre. It is through modulation of these aspects that synthesists create electronic sound. With Generate 3, it is now possible to create a signal and control all its parameters by through-zero modulation.
The resultant triangle wave generated by Generate 3 is treated by the through-zero phase modulator, providing a total phase shift range of 900°. Phase modulation offers an interesting alternative for FM, as it enables deep FM-type tones without actually changing the oscillation frequency.
The resonance of a signal is prepared by its tuneful content. This full set of harmonics can be grouped into three main parts: the fundamental, even and odd harmonics. Generate 3’s harmonics generator separates out these three timbral ‘channels’. The amplitudes can be customized, each timbral channel supports through-zero amplitude modulation, also known as balanced or ring modulation. When audio-frequency modulation signals are applied, the harmonics become ‘split’, enriching the spectrum. In addition to all the common analog synthesis techniques, the comprehensive set of modulation options makes Generate 3 especially suited for exploring multiphonic synthesis. A monophonic source creating a complex timbre, much like throat singing, yet by electronic means.
Generate 3 Features
- High-stability precision analog triangle-core VC(LF)O with fine and coarse tuning.
- Waveform outputs: core (triangle), fundamental (sine), even (saw), odd and full (mix of timbral channels).
- 1 volt/octave pitch tracking over the full audio range.
- Exponential frequency modulation with polariser knob.
- Through-zero linear frequency modulation with symmetry/modulation polariser knob, and AC-coupling and bias switches.
- Through-zero phase modulation with 900° of shift range.
- Through-zero amplitude modulation of three timbral channels: fundamental, even and odd harmonics.
- Two simultaneous oscillator synchronization types: reset (hard sync) and flip (soft sync).
- LF mode for LFO use. Ultra-wide total frequency range: 2.8 MHz (6 minutes) to 27 kHz, a range of nearly 10,000,000:1!
- Impedance-compensated outputs with dual-color LEDs.
- Trim potentiometer accessible from the front panel.
- Precision-milled 2 mm anodized aluminum front panel with high-resolution, non-erasable graphics.
- Bullet-proof design: polarised power header and MOSFET protection circuit.
- Includes 16-to-10-pin Eurorack power ribbon cable.
- Premium mounting hardware: black screws, black nylon washers and matching hex key.
- High-quality components and assembly; designed and made in Belgium.