Happy 8/08 day fellow dorks! Samples From Mars celebrates with its time-limited free 808 samples? Instead of $39.00 the 808 samples are free. The download includes (2) 16x hit 808 kits – recorded through their API console, to tape, with a variety of high-end hardware processing. They feature clean, colored, and supersaturated 808 hits and they hope you enjoy them as much as Samples From Mars do! See the 808 From Mars – Guide for extensive details on what is included.
The 808 is easily the most recognized drum machine in history. It’s responsible for the birth of countless genres – hip hop, electro, techno, house, trap – the list goes on. And even though it was developed in early 1980, it is still among the best sounding drum machines of all time – with its classic and pure analog sound. Decades later it can still be heard everywhere – in fact, it’s hard to escape the 808.
- 1500 24bit WAV 808 Samples organized into folders for easy navigation
- Clean (digital and tape) and color versions for all hits
- Extensively Multi-sampled for every voice (tone, snappy, decay); includes Accent & No Accent
- Tuned Toms & Congas
- (12) 16x hit Kits for instant jamming
- Recorded through an API 1608 console, mastering reel to reel, and more
- 100% hardware processing – no plugin processing whatsoever
- MPC60 & SP1200 Tuned Kicks
- Includes the old 808 From Mars (Legacy)
- Ableton Rack: Macros for all multi-samples give you knobs just like on the 808 itself (tone, snappy, decay, etc)
- Kontakt, Logic EXS, Reason & SFZ: 85 Individual Hits instruments + 12 Kit Instruments
- Maschine, Battery & MPC1000, MPC2500: (12) 16x Hit Kits mapped for instant use
- 301.1 MB Unzipped
- Any DAW or Sampler Compatible with 24bit WAV
- Kontakt 5.6.5+ (Not Kontakt Player)
- Ableton Live 9.7+ (Not Intro)
- Logic 9+
- Reason 8+
- Maschine 2.6+
- Battery 4.1.5+
- MPC1000 or MPC2500
- 301.1 MB Free Space
The Recording Process
The 808 recording session was a complicated, month-long affair filled with love (and some frustration). But if you break it all down, Samples From Mars basically focused on two different processes – clean samples and dirty samples.
- The Clean. Recorded through the API 1608 with minimal gain and no processing. Includes both digital and tape versions
- The Color. Various types of processing including EQ, Saturation, Compression, Gating, and more. Groups of samples with multiple levels of saturation.
For the processing, Samples From Mars overdrove the 1608 console and used dynamics like the API 2500, Distressor, SPL transient designer, and SSL. They used overdrive mostly in parallel, to color the sustain and bring the RMS up – and these consisted of an Overstayer Saturator, a Moog filter, and Reddi. For EQ, Samples From Mars turned to the Thermionic Swift Tube EQ, API 550B and 560 EQs. And for samplers, they stuck to the classics – SP1200 and MPC60.
About Samples From Mars
Samples From Mars is a drum & synth samples imprint based in Brooklyn, NYC founded by producer/engineer Eddie Mars. This site was created to offer you the most unique instruments at the highest quality. Building software instruments and samples out of rare gear is an art form, and our goal is to inspire you to make the best music possible.
Every sound is handcrafted, and a huge amount of thought, time, care, experimentation, and inspiration goes into each step of the process. I am a truly obsessed perfectionist and I spend every day doing a combination of this and music production (it’s weird but awesome).