Behringer launches and ships K-2
The K-2 Analog and Semi-Modular Synthesizer with Dual VCOs, Ring Modulator, External Signal Processor, 16-Voice Poly Chain, and Eurorack Format.
Eurorack Ready, not directly
You can install the K-2 into your Eurorack, however, to communicate you need a Eurorack module as a Hz/V to 1V/oct converter. The K-2 “speaks” Hz/V while you Eurorack speaks 1V/oct. A statement from Behringer about the possibility to damage the K-2 or your Eurorack Modul was “Caution: Do not overload the 3.5 mm inputs. They can only accept the correct level of voltages as shown in the specification tables.” (in the K-2 manual) ” The 3.5 mm outputs should only be connected to inputs capable of receiving the output voltages. Failure to follow these instructions may damage the K-2 or external units.“
To use the K-2 with Eurorack you need a Hz/V to 1V/oct converter. Those converters are available from ladik (Two Modules: U-202 V/oct to Hz/V converter (4HP) and U-201 Hz/V to V/oct converter (4HP) ) and Harvestment (English Tear).
- Amazing analog synthesizer with dual VCO design allows for insanely fat music creation
- Authentic reproduction of original circuitry with matched transistors and JFETs
- Pure analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
- Semi-modular architecture with default routings requires no patching for immediate performance
- First and second-generation filter design (high pass/low pass with peak/resonance)
- 4 variable oscillator shapes with variable pulse widths and ring modulation for ultimate sounds
- Dedicated and fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
- 2 analog Envelope Generators for modulation of VCF and VCA
- 16-voice Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony
- Complete Eurorack solution — main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
- 36 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
- External audio input for processing external sound sources
- Comprehensive USB/MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
- 3-Year Warranty Program*
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.
The very heart of K-2’s sound is its versatile 24 dB/octave filter, which lets you freely experiment with the High and Low-Pass Cutoff Frequencies and their respective peak (resonance) settings to dial in the perfect sound. The high-pass filter sets the level of signals below the cutoff frequency, effectively reducing the levels of the fundamental and lower-order harmonics. The low-pass filter controls the level of signals above the cutoff, which reduces higher-order harmonic content. K-2’s VCF Peak controls provide emphasis to the signals at the crossover frequency.
K-2’s authentic Voltage Controlled Oscillators (VCOs) provides an incredible range of 4 variable oscillator shapes with variable pulse widths and ring modulation for the ultimate in sound creation. VCO 1 waveform choices include triangle, reverse-sawtooth, noise and pulse, where the pulse width can be adjusted from square wave to narrow across a 4-octave range (32′, 16′, 8′, or 4′). VCO 2’s waveform can be selected from reverse-sawtooth, square, narrow pulse and ring, where both oscillators are operating. VCO 2’s pitch can also be varied independently across a 4-octave range (16′, 8′, 4′ and 2′). The VCO Mixer allows you to adjust the levels of VCO 1 and VCO 2 to create an overall mix and a wide range of amazing effects.
Controls & Connectivity
K-2 has 36 controls, all laid out in a highly-intuitive format that puts the joy back into your music creation. And you can expand K-2’s tone-sculpting capabilities beyond your wildest dreams by utilizing the multi-I/O patchbay to connect external devices at virtually any point in the signal path!
Several Shops in Europe have the Behringer K-2 listed as soon available. Behringer said that they shipped the first 2000 units out already.