With Perfperc – Volume I Jasper Blunk founder of Performance Samples introduces a unique series of an examination of percussion libraries built using multi-samples captured from repeated performance phrases. This library was produced with a heavy focus on start-time consistency and timbral cohesion between RRs wrapped up in a performance-sourced repetition approach. This leads when playing percussion to a natural flow between notes, tighter playing, and more uniform dynamics. There was also significance placed on making the velocity response predictable and smooth, aided by the wide dynamic range recorded (up to 15 dynamics).
Perfperc – Volume I Instruments
- Bongo Set (three bongos: low, medium, and high)
- Low Tom
- High Tom
- Gran Cassa
- Low Surdo
- High Surdo
- Low Taiko
- High Taiko
- Timpani 1 (tuned down)
- Timpani 2 (tuned down)
- Timpani 3 (tuned down)
- Timpani 4 (tuned down)
- Snare Drum (snares disengaged)
- Two Shakers
Shakers are only 1 dynamic, for both the hits and rolls.
The library also dips its toes into the realm of playable rolls, building on top of the established performance-sourced repetition sampling approach. Playing ultra-fast triggers these samples (which work specifically well on things like the bongos and timpani). Deeper and more finessed sampling of playable rolls is the shape of things to come with further Perfperc.
Perfperc – Volume I Articulations
- Performance-sourced hits with up to 15* dynamics, with playable rolls triggering in based on playing speed
- X-fade rolls with both “roll-to-hit”/accented and normal releases (controlled by velocity)
- Bonus material (rubs, scrapes, crescendos, etc)
- Repetition sampling, similar to Fluid Shorts, which offers natural cohesion between notes and the ability to play at faster speeds naturally.
- Playable rolls, captured from small performance phrases, so you can play really fast and it will trigger them in and sound like a real roll.
- Up to 15 dynamics, with a strong emphasis on smoothness across the velocity range.
- Bonus material, including crescendos, rubs, and other FX
A little background on the playable rolls. Recording moderate-speed reps, while serving a purpose, does not satisfy really fast material to the level Jasper Blunk liked. This is an idea that evolved throughout post-production and Jasper ultimately decided to repurpose some other content he recorded for the library and apply it in a playable way – which required rebuilding some of the libraries. Since it was repurposed content recorded for another aspect of the library, there wasn’t much to work with, and it’s a little rough around the edges, but it planted seeds in regards to offshoots on the concept.
Whether the result is convincing, you can judge for yourself, but there’s a lot of potential in flowing/repetition-based percussion sampling, and Performance Samples will continue building on the “playable rolls” concept for the future Perfperc volumes.
Perfperc is my multi-volume exploration of bridging percussion and performance-sourced sampling.