AlgoRhythms by Modal Electronics
Modal Electronics, a leading global synthesizer manufacturer, has just announced an all-new sound library for the feature-packed COBALT Series synthesizers–algorithms. Leaning on the recent v1.1 COBALT Series firmware update, this rhythmic-centered patch collection is set to spice user’s productions and performances with polyrhythmic flavor.
Complete with aftertouch, an expensive mod-matrix, and 3-clock syllable LFOs (2 polyphonic and 1 global), there’s no denying the COBALT Series’ rhythmic presets scattered throughout the factory preset banks separate from the pack. Building on this legacy, Modal Electronics set their sound design team a challenge. Arm the Modal Community with a preset pack brimming with pulsating textures, reactive to the subtle inflection of truly expressive performance, and mapped for tactile control to switch their sound up on the fly. The result: AlgoRhythms. A collection of 30 unique sounds, 20 sequences, 25 rhythmic sounds, and 5 uber-expressive performance-centric patches, that showcase the sheer power the firmware v1.1 update provides.
From pulsating beds, to edgy leads and driving basses, everything the forward-thinking creative is included to pepper their production with the power of polyrhythms. Head over to the Modal Electronics Blog to download this free pack today.
Expansive production- & performance-ready free sound library comprising 30 unique sounds, 20 sequences, 25 rhythmic sounds and 5 uber-expressive performance centric patches for the COBALT Series
New in Firmware v1.1
With the introduction of COBALT8 Firmware v1.1, users have access to six new unique algorithms firmly focussed on FM and AM oscillation models, complete with dual controls for precise sound sculpting capability.
These new algorithms include
- FM Saw:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Sawtooth as the carrier and a Square as the modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
- FM Square:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Square as both the carrier and modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
- FM Tri:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Triangle as the carrier and a Square as the modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
- Noise AM Saw: Sawtooth Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
- Noise AM Square: Square Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
- Noise AM Tri: Triangle Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
About the COBALT Series
Building on the tradition of iconic, warm, and punchy analog-style synth sounds, the COBALT Series unlocks the full creative potential of analog waveforms. This family of powerful, inspiring instruments reinvents the aesthetics of analog sound, inviting musicians, producers and sound designers to explore a new era of virtual-analog synthesizer textures – far beyond the limits of their analog contemporaries.
Leaning on a unique, innovative oscillator engine complete with 40 algorithms, the COBALT Series adds a new morphable 4-Pole Ladder Filter. This, combined with Modal’s unparalleled modulation options, an inspiring real-time / step sequencer, the energizing arpeggiator, the Premium FATAR key-bed (COBALT8 and COBALT8X models only), MPE, studio-quality effects, and 1:1 MODALapp integration, makes the COBALT Series ideal for creatives that demand a versatile electronic music instrument to play vintage, or the most leading-edge, sounds
Eight true polyphonic voices tempt players to layout the wide string or rich synth pad chords, while a monophonic bass or lead patch, played with 64 oscillators can shake the walls of every stadium. Combine this with avant-garde sound-forming features, and the COBALT Series empowers every synth enthusiast with sounds that no other synthesizer can touch. This is truly Beyond Analogue.
Pricing and Availability
In addition, Firmware v1.1 adds a raft of new feature updates and workflow enhancements including a Master Clock Mode to continually send MIDI clock information to compatible studio peripherals. For a full breakdown of the enhancements facilitated by Firmware Update 1.1, please visit. The COBALT Series is available in 3 models, each tailored to suit your workflow – the COBALT8 37-key variant, the COBALT8X 61-key variant, and the COBALT8M desktop module.