SampleTank 4 MAX Review
Under review today is SampleTank 4 MAX by IK Multimedia. The Release 4 is the latest version of IK Multimedia SampleTank series. IK Multimedia has carefully updated current products and added some new ones. We reviewed SampleTank 4 MAX the largest sample edition in the SampleTank 4 Product Line. The Max Version is 260 GB including over 200 GB of all-new sounds.
There are three editions available:
- Sample Tank 4 SE: over 30 GB samples, 2,000+ sounds
- Sample Tank 4: over 100 GB samples, 6,000+ sounds
- Sample Tank 4 MAX: over 250 GB samples, 8,000+ sounds
You download the SampleTank 4 MAX product after registering and add all the sampled instruments by downloading them. I did put the large collection of sampled instruments on a extra hard drive due to his large size and disk footprint. With Version 4 there is up to 200 GB of new content including exclusive high-quality recordings of a concert piano, keyboards, guitars, bass, drums, strings, brass, synths, vocals, percussion and more. SampleTank 4 MAX covers 90,000 new samples in total, all with articulations and round-robins. I would wish for an installer tool, as I did have to download the different sound sets from the web browser, with a tool I would like to just say download all and install here.
SampleTank 4 MAX includes 260 GB and 8,000 instruments preset thoughtfully coordinated across the extensive range of styles, genres, and sounds. If you want to know in detail which Instruments are included in the MAX version or one of the two other editions take a look here.
SampleTank 4 Specs
- Works as a multi-platform plug-in and as a Standalone application
- Content structured in Instruments, Multis and MIDI Patterns
- Fully compatible with macOS and Windows
- Supported plug-in formats: AAX, VST 2, VST 3, and Audio Units
- 16 part multitimbral
- 16 individual stereo outputs
- Info view with specific information and 3D icon for each instrument
- Mix view and full mix parameters control
- Live mode for instantaneous sounds loading, organized in setlists and songs
- Expandable instrument library
- Pad interface lets you launch patterns, loops or single notes seamlessly from iRig Keys I/O or any MIDI controller
- 70 studio quality effects
- Layers allow for creating splits and layers
- Edit view for in-depth editing of all synth engine parameters, independently for all the elements or articulations that are included in the instrument
- Custom modulation for synth engine and effects parameters
- Advanced instrument browsing with convenient search function
- BPM sync-able time-based effects, audio loop instruments and LFOs
- Four play modes including mono legato with portamento
- Zone switch allows to edit individual key-zones for the selected sound element or articulation
- Multi Articulation and Key Switch instrument control
- Easy to use assignable MIDI control to any parameter with MIDI Learn
- Compatible with all previous “Powered by SampleTank” sound modules and sounds (can import all previous sounds and Combis)
- Import feature allows users to import .wav and .aiff samples
Sound design is also a given way to use a large number of sounds included in SampleTank 4. Now that you can layer the sounds you can also mangle and shape the chosen instruments and sounds. There are roughly 70 effects (13 new ones) included. With those effects, you can add remarkably vivid tube saturation, analog pedal effects, professional studio processors, and creative effects.
SampleTank 4 Effects
- Amps: American Vintage, British Tube Lead 2, Cabinet, Flexi, Jazz Amp 120, Modern Tube Lead, Preamp, SVT Classic, Tone Control
- Distortion: Crusher, Distortion, Lo-Fi, Overdrive, Overscream, Phonograph, Sat-X
- Dynamics/EQ: Channel Strip, Compressor, Black 76, British Channel, Bus Comp, EQ-81, EQ Comp, EQ-PG, Limiter, Model 670, Parametric EQ, Vintage EQ-1A, White 2A
- Modulation: AM Modulation, AutoPan, Chorus, Chorus C1, Electric Flanger, FM Modulator, Ensemble, Env Flanger, Flanger, Multi Chorus, Opto Tremolo, Phaser, Rotary, Slicer, Small Phazer, Tremolo, Uni-V
- Reverb/Delay: Ambience, ConvoRoom, Digital Delay, Reverb, Reverb Delay, Inverse Reverb, Room Reverb, Spring Reverb, Stereo Imager, Tape Echo Hall Reverb, Plate Reverb
- Filter: Acoustic Resonance, Filter-C, Filter Formant, Filter-M, Filter-O, Filter Phaser, Filter-R, Env Filter, LFO Filter, Piano Lid, MultiFilter, Wah 47h
User interface & Usability
Compared to the previous versions the main screen of SampleTank 4 MAX is now scalable. This is a crucial feature for all of us that have a high resolution (4K, 5K or 6K Screen) on their desk. The layout is geared to be that one workstation where you can select, search, load and layer instruments. For those who perform live, it is an excellent live performance tool. I use the SampleTank 4 MAX workstation mainly inside a DAW. From an additional tooling point of view you can produce a sequence arpeggiator, strummed and pattern and loop players – to help you.
Rating: Four out of five stars
With SampleTank 4 MAX you will find a large and gigantic collection of sounds and instruments. Inside the SampleTank 4 MAX workstation, you are able to do all needed mixing, layering, sound shaping, and sequencing. In the MAX version, we reviewed there is just a tantalizing amount of instruments and sounds content. For the competition SampleTank 4 MAX is a large threat, so far a but lucky for them a hidden gem. I would love a different way to install all the content with the help of one tool. Grab this library if you want to add a large amount of content, for myself best to be used in sound design.