New Modal Electronics SKULPTsynth SE
Modal Electronics released SKULPTsynth SE. Based on the heritage of the original SKUPTsynthesiser, it inherits a slim form factor but comes with traditionally colored, black, and white touch keypads, easier-to-read front panel descriptors, and improved built quality.
SKULPTsynth SE features 2 unique morphable waveform oscillators identified by Wave 1 and Wave 2 labels. It has a total of 32 oscillators inside, that’s 4 voices with 8 oscillators per voice
- Wave 1: This encoder allows you to sweep continuously thru the waveforms from Sine – Triangle – Saw – Square – PWM.
- Wave 2: This encoder allows you to sweep continuously thru the waveforms from Sine – Triangle – Saw – Square – Noise – Low Pass Filter down to -inf dB.
- Mix: The Mix encoder allows you to balance the volume between each wave. All the way to the left you will hear only Wave 1, All the way to the right you will hear Wave 2. In the centre you will hear a balanced blend of both waves.
- Fine: Holding the Shift key and turning this encoder allows us to control the fine tuning of Wave 2 (Fine) +/- 100 cents
- Tune: Holding the Shift key and turning this encoder allows us to control the coarse tuning of Wave 2 (Tune) at desirable intervals +/- 4 octaves. Note: assigning modulation to the Tempo / Swing knob will control the Global Tune of the oscillators.
- FM: Holding the shift key and turning this encoder controls the FM amount between Waves where Wave 1 is the carrier and Wave 2 is the modulator. This means that Wave 2
- is modulating Wave 1 up to a maximum of +/- 4 octaves & 100 cents. Because of the wide range of Wave 2 detune and the flexibility of the LFOs, this can be
- used to create a huge array of effects, from adding rich harmonics to interesting low frequency modulations.
- RM: Holding shift and pressing the LFO2 button causes ring mod to be enabled anddisabled. By default Ring Mod is disabled. Enabling it will cause the LFO 2 LED to flash in an on or off direction, depending on whether LFO 2 is being edited or not.
Ring modulation is a form of amplitude modulation where a modulating wave (Wave 1) affects a carrier waveform (Wave 2). The effect generates new harmonics that are the
sum and difference of all frequencies present in the two waves used to generate the effect, but this also causes the original frequencies in the carrier signal to disappear.
Equipped with 127 high energizing patches, SKULPT SE provides a wide range of highly sought-after sounds for modern music productions and live performances. With its light-weight design, a massive synth engine, and MPE support plus patch and poly chain compatibility with its predecessor, SKULPTsynth SE is a comprehensive synthesizer for musicians and producers to get creative anywhere they want.
SKULPTsynth SE uses a Modal designed state variable 2-pole resonant filter (capable of morphing from low pass, through bandpass, to high pass).
- Analog-style morphing 2-pole filter with resonance – Seamless morphing from low pass, through bandpass, to high pass
- Cutoff – This parameter controls the low-pass filter cutoff frequency. This affects the cutoff frequency of the filter, from 0Hz up to 20kHz.
- Reso – This parameter controls the amount of resonance of the filter.
- FEG – Holding the shift key and turning this encoder allows bipolar control of the Filter-EG amount. (See the Envelopes section)
- Morph – Holding the shift key and turning this encoder allows control of the shape of the filter: note that the filter is low-pass by default.
Two WAVE groups per voice with four oscillators each allow to craft carefully flavourful sonic fundaments and sweep smoothly between multiple waveforms. Additional oscillator modulation unveils an unmatched potential for sound customization. SKULPT SE’s state-variable 2-pole filters morph from low pass through to bandpass and through to high pass. With its resonance feature, it picks out rich harmonics at high resonance levels. Three envelopes give excessive control of the dynamics and expression. Two LFOs, one global and one polyphonic, can be synced to internal or external tempo. The integrated delay and distortion effects give more options to polish the sound.
SKULPT SE supports MPE and offers musicians creative new musical ways to perform with synthesizer sounds, and therefore, SKULPT SE the most affordable MPE hardware synthesizer available today. The integrated real-time sequencer and arpeggiator are acclaimed performance features and invite to immersive jam sessions. Up to 4 SKULPT or SKULPT SE can be poly-chained to form a massive 16-voice virtual-analog sound engine.
The integrated Arp and 256-note Sequencer allow playing rhythmic patterns and melodies automatically. SKULPT supports MPE for next-generation expressive performances. Musicians, DJs, and producers find 128 exciting preset sounds to start their synth adventure right out of the box. The free MODALapp and MODALplugin for all primary computer and mobile platforms integrate easily with any VST3 and AU compatible recording environment.
With 127 brand-new patches, SKULPT SE offers a vast library of contemporary sounds that uplift every track. Fully backward compatible, SKULPT SE users can load any patch from the original SKULPT available from Modal’s website and 3rd party sound designers. Using the free MODALapp, available from Modal Electronics’ website, sound editing and sound management is easy and straightforward. MODALapp runs on all major computer and mobile platforms and offers integration in AU and VST3 DAW environments, respectively.
- 4 voice – 32 oscillator virtual analogue synthesizer
- 8 oscillators per voice with 2 selectable morphable waveforms
- Mixer stage for OSC levels along with FM, PWM, tuning, and Ring Modulation options
- Monophonic, Duophonic, and Polyphonic modes available
- Multi option Unison/spread to detune the 32 oscillators for a huge sound
- 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources and 37 destinations
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude, and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs, one global and one polyphonic
- The real-time sequencer that will record up to 256 notes and up to 4 parameters of the animation
- Fully-featured arpeggiator with division, direction, octave, bipolar swing and sustain
- Resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through bandpass, to high pass
- Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
- Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
- 128 patch and 64 sequence storage locations
- 16 key touch MIDI keyboard
- Supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and
- expression to individual notes.
- MIDI DIN In and Out – Analogue clock sync In and Out connections
- Class-compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Headphone and line output
- Power by USB or 6 x AA batteries
- Optional software editor available for macOS, Windows, IOS, and Android
- Portable and compact design
- Dimensions: 255mm x 135m x 68mm (10”x5 1/2”x 3”)
About Modal Electronics
Founded in 2015 and headquartered in Bristol, UK, Modal Electronics is redefining modern synthesizer technology for musicians, producers, and performers. Guided by the philosophy to create “Machines for Musicians,” Modal Electronics combines sophisticated analog and digital circuitry in their products. Synthesizers from Modal Electronics contributed to countless hit records and top movie scores, and are used in recording studios and on live-performance stages around the world.
Pricing and Availability
SKULPTsynth SE will be available by mid-May 2021 through a wide network of authorized Modal retailers around the world. Suggested retail prices are £169.99 (the UK, incl. VAT), 199.99 € (incl. 20% VAT), and $199.99 (US excl. VAT).